These low-FODMAP hot cross muffins are the perfect cross between a hot cross bun and a cake – they’re genius! I came across the original recipe by Jamie Oliver and ‘I have to adapt this!’ came straight into my thoughts. So, here’s a fodmap-friendly version for you to enjoy with all your friends and family this Easter (in case you need a break from the chocolate!!)
Serves 14-24 depending on the size of your muffin cases.
225g unsalted butter
200g light muscovado sugar
150g ground almonds
100g buckwheat flour or gluten-free self-raising flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
140g mixed dried fruit – I used 40g dried cranberries and 100g raisins
The rind of 2 oranges and 3 tbsp orange juice
Coconut oil for glaze and greasing (optional)
30-50g white chocolate, melted
- Heat the oven to 170C (fan).
- If you are using a handwhisk, cream together the butter and sugar. If you are mixing by hand, melt the butter first, then mix with the sugar (makes it easier!)
- In a spearate bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour, mixed spice, baking powder and salt and then gradually add this to the sugar and butter – mixing each time until all the ingredients are combined. Beat well to get lots of air in the mix.
- Next, add the whisked eggs, orange rind and orange juice. Then stir in the dried fruit.
- Pop into muffin cases*, filling no more than three-quarters full and put into the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown – just before they are done, brush with a little melted coconut oil and pop back in the oven for 5 minutes – this adds extra flavour and a slight glaze.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Then melt the white chocolate and use a teaspoon to create the cross.
*If you have a muffin mould, rather than cases, I highly recommend greasing with a little melted coconut oil as it adds a lovely coconuty element.
If your muffins look like a five year old could have decorated them (like mine), the delicious taste will more than make up for it – lovely and moist and perfect with a cuppa as it happens!
Happy Easter! xo